Lugging your baby from stroller to car seat can be a real workout can and turn fun trip downtime into a game of Tetris in your car. But, both items are essential for new parents, which is why so many parents choose to opt in for a car seat and stroller combo to save space, time and money. They are versatile, easy to use and a great space saver for traveling families: Colloquially known as travel systems, these duos customarily feature a car seat that can easily be clipped directly into the matching stroller so you can stop wasting time switching your baby between the two.
The parenting and product experts at Good Housekeeping Institute’s Little Lab test a variety of car seats and strollers from booster seats and infant car seats to lightweight strollers amongst many other essential products for children like safety gates and toys. We’ve evaluated over 20 stroller and car seat combos based on ease of use, safety features, functionality and value.
When testing strollers, the Institute performs a brake test using a gage to measure the force required to move the strollers when brakes are engaged. We also perform a stability/tip over test in which we hang weights on stroller handlebars and measure the force required to tip strollers over. We weigh and measure each stroller while folded to help determine how well it can be carried and stored. Our testers also place the travel systems into a variety of vehicles, taking note on each product’s ease of use when it comes to installation, folding and unfolding, transportation, maneuverability, clipping and unclipping and much more.
Our top picks
Here are the best car seat and stroller combos to buy in 2022:
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
Best Overall Car Seat and Stroller Combo
Infant Car Seat & Latch Base
The Doona infant car seat and latch base is a fan favorite for many reasons. The rear facing car seat can be turned into a stroller in seconds. Unlike other options, this car seat and stroller combo is a single piece, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting the stroller component when getting in the car. It expands and retracts quickly and can easily be fitted into the car seat latch base without disturbing your little one.
While this means that the car seat is a bit heavier than other options at 16.5 pounds, our reviewers say that its all-in-one design that doesn’t require any additional attachments. Our Chief Technologist and mom of three Rachel Rothman notes the device “is a game-changer, notably for city or frequently traveling parents.”
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-35 lbs.; up to 32 inches in height
• Car seat dimensions: 23.6 x 17.3 x 26 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 39 x 17.3 x 32.2 inches
• Car seat weight: 16.5 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 16.5 lbs.
- All-in-one style doesn’t require additional attachments
- Robust impact protection
Best Value Car Seat and Stroller Combo
Smooth Ride Travel System
The Safety 1st car seat and stroller combo is lightweight, easy to maneuver and JPMA certified — all for under $200. This travel system is built for newborns and toddlers and features extra head and body inserts to keep your infant safe and snug. With parent and child trays and a large storage basket, the stroller is optimal for carrying all of your odds and ends.
If you’re out walking with baby on your own, the easy-fold stroller can be packed away in the blink of an eye, and the canopy protects baby’s head from the sun while still offering a mesh window for you to check up on them while you stroll. While our testers say this stroller is a bit less substantial than the others, it’s a great travel or lightweight option, especially with its flip-flop friendly brakes, making it great for vacation.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-35 lbs. in car seat and up to 50 lbs. in stroller
• Car seat dimensions: 15.75 x 18 x 30.5 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 19.7 x 17.7 x 31.5 inches
• Car seat weight: 14.99 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 32 lbs.
- JPMA certified
- Four harness heights for all sized babies
- Features a canopy with mesh window for checking on baby
- Less sturdy than other options
Best Basic Car Seat and Stroller Combo
Bravo Trio Travel System
If you’re not interested in all the extra bells and whistles, Chicco’s Bravo Trio Travel System is a great option. Our testers have experience with both the stroller and car seat, and would recommend them due to their great value. The trio travel system features three different modes: Infant carrier, car seat and stroller, perfect for your newborn to toddler.
The stroller is great for all surfaces due to its treaded tires and all-wheel suspension, and the car seat can be installed quickly and easily. Premium LATCH connectors make it simple to click the car seat into your vehicle with little issue, and the one-hand smart fold design means you can pack away the stroller quickly.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-30 lbs. in car seat and up to 50 lbs. in stroller; up to 30 inches in height
• Car seat dimensions: 27.5 x 17 x 24 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 35.2 x 22.8 x 42.7 inches
• Car seat weight: 9.6 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 24.9 lbs.
- Features premium LATCH connectors
- Includes removable head and body support cushions
- Fewer bonus features than other options
Most Versatile Car Seat and Stroller Combo
Pivot Modular Travel System With SafeMax Car Seat
Our testers absolutely love the flexibility and versatility of the pivot modular travel system. Its three modes are great for baby from their newborn days to their toddler stages, featuring each mode of travel in both rear-facing and front-facing options. Including sturdy wheels and a bassinet mode, you and your baby will have some of the most relaxing walks of your life.
Its full-coverage canopy is wonderful for taking walks in all weather, and when you’re ready to hop in the car, simply click the seat into the latch base. Once you’ve finished your trip, the whole travel system can be easily wiped down with mild soap and water.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-35 lbs. in car seat and up to 50 lbs. in stroller; up to 32 inches in height for car seat and 38 for stroller
• Car seat dimensions: 17.5 x 24 x 29 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 25.5 x 47 x 34 inches
• Car seat weight: 20 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 38 lbs.
- Full coverage canopy and storage basket
- Includes both basinet and upright seat
- Six modes of travel
- Not as lightweight as other options
Best Lightweight Car Seat and Stroller Combo
B-Lively Travel System
If you’re looking for a stroller that will last a long time, this travel system has the highest weight limitation out there. It’s safe and secure for babies up to 55 pounds, and our testers liked the convenience of this travel system. With this car seat and stroller combo, you don’t have to worry about your baby growing out of his stroller before you can blink.
It’s lightweight and easy to store, plus its three wheel design means it’s great for maneuverability on different terrains. The car seat has a strong steel frame, side impact protection and uses SafeCenter LATCH system (Britax’s special latch system that helps make LATCH connections more seamless) for secure vehicle installation.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-35 lbs. in car seat and up to 55 lbs. in stroller
• Car seat dimensions: 17.75 x 25 x 26.5 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 40 x 24 x 39.5 inches
• Car seat weight: 10.9 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 30 lbs.
- Incredibly lightweight
- Holds up to 55 lbs. in stroller mode
Best Luxury Car Seat and Stroller Combo
TAVO next Stroller & PIPA RX Car Seat Travel System
Let your baby travel in style with this one-of-a-kind system that will certainly be one of the most fashionable strollers you’ve ever owned. The seat is easy to transfer from car to stroller, and only weighs a little over seven pounds so you don’t have to worry about straining your arms.
The built-in full-protection canopy is great for protecting a delicate snoozing baby and the storage basket is perfect for storing everything you need to keep your little one clean, happy and well-fed. For taller parents, the handlebar is easy to adjust to the perfect height so your walk can be as comfortable as ever.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-32 lbs. for car seat and up to 50 lbs. for stroller; up to 32 inches in height for car seat
• Car seat dimensions: 25.2 x 17.5 x 23 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 28.4 x 22.4 x 43.7 inches
• Car seat weight: 7.6 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 23.2 lbs.
- Lightweight car seat
- Good storage space
- Adjustable handlebar
Best Car Seat and Stroller Combo for Jogging
Expedition Jogger Travel System
If you’re looking for the right car seat and stroller combo for your mini running buddy, the baby trend expedition jogger travel system is perfect for taking on your morning runs. The three wheel design means it can tackle rougher terrains with ease and the large bicycle tires help maneuverability.
You can lock the front swivel wheel when desired, and once it’s time to load baby back into the car, the stroller easily collapses to fit into your trunk while the car seat simply clicks into the LATCH base. While we haven’t had the opportunity to test this model yet, it’s a best-seller on Amazon with almost 9,000 five-star reviews. Our pros also love the parent and child trays that help you store water and snacks for both you and your little one.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-30 lbs. in car seat and up to 50 lbs. in stroller; up to 30 inches in height for car seat and 42 inches for stroller
• Car seat dimensions: 16.25 x 14.66 x 26 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 44 x 46 x 22 inches
• Car seat weight: 16.87 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 41 lbs.
- All-terrain three wheels offer great maneuverability
- JPMA certified
- Stroller is easy to fold
Best Car Seat and Stroller Combo to Grow with Family
Vista V2 Stroller & Mesa Infant Car Seat
While UPPAbaby’s car seat and stroller combo is definitely a splurge, it’s a great travel system that you certainly won’t regret purchasing. The soft tires feature all-wheel suspension for a soft ride, and the system comes with both a bassinet and a car seat so it can be used by infants well into their toddler years.
Our pros love the smooth steering of the Vista stroller, and that the Mesa car seat can be clipped into your vehicle in seconds with its Smart Secure system (UPPABaby’s unique LATCH system that makes installation easier). Good Housekeeping Institute’s Chief Technologist loves this system and used it for all of her kids.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-35 lbs. for car seat, 20 lbs. for basinet and up to 50 lbs. for stroller; up to 32 inches in height for car seat
• Car seat dimensions: 26.4 x 17 x 23 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 36 x 25.7 x 39.5 inches
• Car seat weight: 9.9 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 27 lbs.
- Smooth steering and soft ride
- Features Smart Secure car seat system
- Vista V2 can be configured to carry more than one child
- More expensive than other models
Best 5-in-1 Car Seat and Stroller Combo
Zelia Max 5-in-1 Modular Travel System
This stylish and safe system is great for parents of infants and toddlers. Like many other of our picks, it features a stay-in-car base so you can easily haul your baby out of the stroller and click the seat right into your vehicle in a matter of seconds. Once you’re on the road, the seat features air protect technology’s superior side impact protection to keep your baby safe at all times.
It’s easy to install and can be configured in five different modes, including front-facing and rear-facing. The narrow frame means you can easily move about the world through busy sidewalks or doorways, and the canopy with a mesh window offers great airflow. Our testers especially enjoyed its safety features, like the strong impact protection.
• Child weight and height limitations: 4-30 lbs. for car seat and up to 50 lbs. for stroller; up to 32 inches in height for car seat and 49 for stroller
• Car seat dimensions: 31.5 x 18 x 15.5 inches
• Stroller dimensions: 31 x 31 x 22.44 inches
• Car seat weight: 18.4 lbs.
• Stroller weight: 45.9 lbs.
- Five different stroller configurations
- Narrow frame great for maneuverability
Do you need a travel system?
Transferring your baby from car to stroller can be a lot of work, and until your precious bundle can sit up on their own, they’ll need a bassinet or fully-reclinable seat to safely relax in a stroller. That’s where a travel system will be your new best friend: Not only will a travel system be able to protect your baby in the car and in a stroller, but it means you only have to make one purchase for both items.
Travel systems are particularly great for parents on the go who want an easy and quick way of carrying around their little ones without having to pack so many additional items. With one click, you can pop the seat right out of the stroller and snap it into your car within seconds without disturbing your infant transferring them from car seat to stroller. There’s also no need to worry about whether or not your products are compatible since they come bundled together. Plus, even after your baby outgrows the car seat, you will still be able to use the stroller for years to come.
Are car seat stroller combos safe?
Keeping your little one safe is your (and our) number one priority, so you may be asking yourself, are car seat and stroller combos secure enough for baby? All of the strollers we recommend meet the ASTM standards, and many even have the third-party JPMA seal as well. You don’t have to worry about your baby as long as everything is installed properly. Here are some tips to guarantee that your kids are protected whether they’re in the stroller or strapped in to the car:
- Make sure your travel system is correct for the age of your baby, and that infants have a bassinet or fully-reclinable seat until they can sit up unassisted.
- Thoroughly read the directions of your car seat and stroller combo prior to use to ensure that you’ve included all of the parts and put it together correctly. Ensure that the latch base is properly installed in your car and that the car seat can seamlessly click into place.
- Make sure you hear the click! It’s important that your car seat is correctly latched into place before you drive off, so practice clipping the car seat in before baby is inside until you’re a pro.
- Check for stroller safety features before taking your baby on the road. A wide base means the stroller is less likely to tip over and a canopy will protect your baby from the strong sun. Make sure you know how to properly operate the brakes (or lock the wheels if possible).
- Don’t leave your little one snoozing in their car seat (or stroller), per the AAP. While one of the benefits of a car seat and stroller combo is being able to transfer your infant without disturbing them, as soon as you’re able, transfer them over to a proper sleep surface.
What to look for when shopping for a car seat and stroller combo
- Height and weight limits: Before you purchase anything, check out the height and weight limitations of the model. These specifications will be different depending on each car seat and stroller combo. To make sure your baby is as safe as possible, ensure that they are in the recommended height and weight amount.
- Purpose: Are you looking for a travel system that will grow with your baby or just something that will make your jogging trips to the park that much easier? Depending on how you plan on using your car seat and stroller combo, you’ll want to look for a model that fulfills your lifestyle needs.
- Features: While a no-frills option can be great for your budget, some car seat and stroller combos offer great features that make all the difference. Are you planning on taking a lot of sunlit walks? Opt in for a unit with a large UV canopy. Do you want to carry a lot with you? Find something with ample-sized storage baskets. And, of course, trays and cupholders are great for storing baby’s snacks and toys while out and about.
- Ease of use: You’ll want to find a car seat and stroller combo that is lightweight, easy to set up and can quickly and efficiently be switched between the car and a stroller.
- Weight: Make sure to check out the weight of the car seat before purchase. You may think a 20 pound car seat will be easy to pick up, but don’t forget to factor your baby’s weight into that arm workout. Consider a travel system that can be easily carried and a stroller that can be flipped open with minimal effort.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below